Translate

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow: My Review





I finally got the time to read the first book in the Codebearer series, and am pleased to say that it exceeded beyond my expectations. The story has a feel slightly similar to the Door Within Trilogy, only amped to the tenth level with a lot more humor and excitement.
We are introduced to Hunter Brown, a high school kid who has developed a reputation as a prankster. After one prank goes wrong, he ends up in the realm of Solandria on the run from the Shadow. There, he meets the Codebearers, warriors devoted to the Resistance of the Shadow, and joins the group but before he can finish his training, he is sent on a mission that could cost him his very soul.
I thoroughly enjoyed the unique world the Miller Brothers created, as well as the character of Hunter Brown, who is sure to make you laugh more than once at some of things he gets into. I have to be honest and say I have never laughed so much with any fantasy book until this one. What I loved most of all is God is not put on the back shelf. His presence is clearly defined as the Author, the creator of all, who is always in control, and the story is very focused on that. Too many times, authors regulate God to little more than a thought, and that is the last we hear about Him. Not so with the Miller Brothers, and I give them two thumbs up for that. There are plenty of lessons to be learnt in this story, a couple of which are trusting that God is in control of things even if it looks otherwise, and that we all have a purpose in life.
Overall, I give the story five out of five stars. If you are looking for humor, thrills, and something that teaches good spiritual values, then this is the book for you.
I have only one complaint, which is a minor one, and that is the lack of commas in places. There are actually a lot of essential commas missing, which I was very surprised about, but again it’s a minor thing unless you’re a very picky reader. Other than that, everything else is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment